<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, June 09, 2011

Remember the Alamo... Drafthouse 


Whatever your feelings about texting during a movie -- I have done it -- this is one very memorable admonition against it. Awesome viral advertising for the Alamo Drafthouse, too, insofar as the video has generated more than 1.1 million views on YouTube in just six days.



As often as I have been to Austin, I have never been in that place. I do, however, know the cousin of the owner so I am apparently a single degree of separation from a social networking genius.


3 Comments:

By Anonymous E Hines, at Thu Jun 09, 08:27:00 AM:

Sounds like it's worth a trip to Austin from Plano solely to patronize the Alamo Drafthouse. My kind of movie theater.

As an aside, if the...lady...really had been using her cell phone as a flashlight (I do this sometimes in my house when I'm trying not to disturb my wife in the middle of the night), it would have been aimed at the floor, for a brief time, and no one would have noticed.

Eric Hines  

By Anonymous Boludo Tejano, at Thu Jun 09, 01:35:00 PM:

Given the wide exposure of the video, I wonder if the texting ex-customer will the she should be paid for her part in the video. After all, this is an ad of sorts.  

By Blogger Stack Trace, at Thu Jun 09, 04:46:00 PM:

I see no reason to compensate her. She was not an employee. There is no contract, implicit or explicit. She understood that she was being recorded, since she was leaving a voice-mail message. Alamo Drafthouse did not reveal any personal information about her.

So why, exactly, should we feel any sympathy for a whiner who gets caught breaking posted rules? And why should a whiner be compensated for whining? Even if it's funny?

All I know is, if I ever find myself in Austin, I'm going to find some excuse to see a movie at this place. (And I'm keeping my phone in my pocket.) High-five to whoever had the guts to kick this woman out. I've had it with assholes playing with their phones in theatres.  

Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?