<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Are the ads covering up blog posts? 


Two readers have sent me emails complaining that the Google ads I've added in the last week are actually overlapping with text in the posts themselves and thereby making the blog impossible to read. I have had no such problems in either Explorer 7 or Mozilla, but perhaps people are using different browsers that do not display the blog properly. Anybody else out there with that experience? If so, what browser do you run?

UPDATE: I slightly narrowed the main column (from 75% of the total width to 70%) in the hope that would improve the experience with the ads. Other readers have suggested clearing your cache if you are among those with a problem. That said, we do not want to lose readers because the ads are covering up the posts, so please let us know if that is what you see.


7 Comments:

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thu Apr 23, 10:40:00 PM:

I use Mozilla, no problems here.  

By Blogger vanderleun, at Thu Apr 23, 11:16:00 PM:

Safari here and Mozilla sometimes. No problems at all. Displays well.

As readers who are having trouble to flush their cache and see if that doesn't work.

\And then there are readers whose computers are infected.

You can see how your page looks in lots of browsers at

http://browsershots.org/  

By Anonymous Peter LC, at Fri Apr 24, 12:40:00 AM:

On a couple computers in the library I used, the google ad appears down the left side of the page, cutting off the first few words in each line. That was in firefox. But no problem in firefox on my laptop.  

By Blogger Diane Wilson, at Fri Apr 24, 08:11:00 AM:

Using Internet Explorer 8, and no problems here.  

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Fri Apr 24, 01:27:00 PM:

I have that problem when using the library's computer using firefox, add covers the first few words and blocks the prevents the link to the comments from working. The problem went away when I downloaded and installed no script for firefox. I was surprised the security settings allowed me to do that.  

By Anonymous Lee, at Sat Apr 25, 10:10:00 AM:

I have not seen any problem, whether I was using my Treo 650, laptop, or 24" desktop monitor.  

By Blogger Elise, at Sat Apr 25, 11:00:00 AM:

Cleared cache, rebooted, even cleaned the keyboard. The vertical strip ad is still running down the left-hand side and covering part of the posts. Even more odd, I cannot click on hyperlinks in posts when the strip ad is to the left - it's like the ad actually overlays the whole screen but part of it is transparent.

Also I think the horizontal strip ad at the top is covering the "Disclaimers" hyperlink although not the "Main" one.

I can't upgrade FireFox without buying a new iMac and although I love your blog, TH, I'm not quite prepared to go that far. However, as I said, I can use my ancient version of Explorer and just not see the ads.  

Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?