<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, September 22, 2008

Whither the dollar? 

I was ruminating over the weekend over the staggering financial events of last week, and what the likely effects might be in the intermediate and long term. There are many unanswered questions about the new bailout plan, and while the stock market clearly thinks it is the answer (or did Friday) I think it very much remains to be seen.

Many of the economists I read fear that one of the consequences of a bailout of this kind could be a loss in global confidence in the dollar and the ability of the US to honor its debt. This would be an off the charts worst case scenario, but I think we've seen enough over the past year to justify being open minded about the possibility.

So the question I pose this morning is what can you or I do to insulate ourselves from such a calamity? Let's take a poll!

In the event of a US dollar crisis, I would like to have a significant amount of my net worth invested in:

A) An index of foreign currencies.

B) Gold and silver

C) Productive farmland

D) Single-malt Scotch

E) Can I have some of each, please?

F) It is unpatriotic to have a non-dollar strategy.


MORE from TigerHawk: Let's make this a real poll!



In the event of a US dollar crisis, I would like to have a significant amount of my net worth invested in:
An index of foreign currencies
Gold and silver
Productive farmland
Single-malt Scotch
Can I have some of each, please?
It is unpatriotic to have a non-dollar strategy
  
Free polls from Pollhost.com



I might add that I am a dollar bull over the long term. Yes, we may abuse the heck out of our currency and the next couple of years may be rocky, but where are you going to invest in the long term? Europe? Japan? Russia? Dubai? The United States remains the best rich country in the world for starting and growing a business.

Unless, of course, we screw it up.


6 Comments:

By Blogger Yishai, at Mon Sep 22, 09:36:00 AM:

Heh, awesome. I choose 'E' with a heavy portfolio weighting in D (I'll diversify, though, into Scotch blends)  

By Blogger Georg Felis, at Mon Sep 22, 10:08:00 AM:

It is nice to see some actual thought put into surviving/fixing this crash. The Left seems to be determined to run outside the bus so they can claim somebody else was driving when we hit the telephone pole.  

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Mon Sep 22, 10:37:00 AM:

Treasury Inflation-Protected Securities.  

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Mon Sep 22, 11:48:00 AM:

The best we got going for the dollar is that closest competitor is the euro, and we can almost count on European governments screwing things up worse than we do.

That said, I'm all for holding a basket of foreign currencies.  

By Blogger Charlottesvillain, at Mon Sep 22, 01:38:00 PM:

I really like that, with a significant number of votes in, farmland and scotch are tied. I've always respected TH readership but never more than today.  

By Blogger Donna B., at Mon Sep 22, 04:44:00 PM:

Since I took the "real" poll, I opted for productive farmland over single malt, because then I would have something to distill and/or brew myself.

I'd rather choose C & D.  

Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?