<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Watching Warner lay an egg 


I worked my way to the only television within reach, and am watching a bit of the Democratic National Convention. I am struck by the bland milquetoastnitude of Mark Warner's keynote address. His speech is so rife with platitudes it sounds as though it was written by computer. My cousin says Warner's speech "could have come from either side." Verily. And he is barely even criticizing Republicans -- normally I get at least a little irritated at these things, but Warner is not even raising my blood pressure. The crowd senses it; there is no electricity, and the applause is pro forma. There is simply no risk that Mark Warner is improving his own presidential prospects the way Barack Obama did in 2004.

GREAT MINDS THINK ALIKE: Jonah Goldberg agrees.

MORE: Montana Gov. Brian Schweitzer, on the other hand, fired up the crowd and kicked some tail. This guy should have been the keynoter, and comes away from this convention a much bigger name than he went in.


2 Comments:

By Blogger K. Pablo, at Tue Aug 26, 10:18:00 PM:

"milquetoastnitude"? Oy.  

By Blogger Roy Lofquist, at Tue Aug 26, 11:51:00 PM:

Dear Sir,

This is the first time I saw Warner. What struck me is how much he looks like the young Jerry Lewis.

I don't suppose too many will have that take. There aren't many of us who are old enough to remember the young Lewis and young enough to remember much of anything.

Regards,
Roy  

Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?