<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, October 14, 2007

Maureen Dowd's column is hilarious this morning... 


...because Stephen Colbert wrote it. This bit is especially good (although, no doubt, some of you will have other favorite parts):

I’d like to thank Maureen Dowd for permitting/begging me to write her column today. As I type this, she’s watching from an overstuffed divan, petting her prize Abyssinian and sipping a Dirty Cosmotinijito. Which reminds me: Before I get started, I have to take care of one other bit of business:

Bad things are happening in countries you shouldn’t have to think about. It’s all George Bush’s fault, the vice president is Satan, and God is gay.

There. Now I’ve written Frank Rich’s column too.

So why I am writing Miss Dowd’s column today? Simple. Because I believe the 2008 election, unlike all previous elections, is important. And a lot of Americans feel confused about the current crop of presidential candidates.

For instance, Hillary Clinton. I can’t remember if I’m supposed to be scared of her so Democrats will think they should nominate her when she’s actually easy to beat, or if I’m supposed to be scared of her because she’s legitimately scary.

Or Rudy Giuliani. I can’t remember if I’m supposed to support him because he’s the one who can beat Hillary if she gets nominated, or if I’m supposed to support him because he’s legitimately scary.

I certainly agree with all of that.

5 Comments:

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sun Oct 14, 11:03:00 AM:

TH:

Yesterday, I worked on a Bill Maher video clip.

Today, you posted an article about Stephen Colbert.

Perhaps this afternoon Ace will write a glowing tribute to John Stewart.

It's a world gone mad.

You're right, the article was hilarious -- and should have been twice as long. I don't mind if satirists tear the conservatives to shreds as long as they do the same to the other side, and it appeared Mr. Colbert was equally unhappy with EVERYBODY. Good for him.

And, even if it was satire, how delightful is it to hear an arch liberal say "Let’s back this country up to a time before there were..." ...name anything!

How 'bout if we back the country up to a time when op-eds weren't passed off as news, Stephen?

Anyways, fun post, TH.

Oh, about the Maher clip. IMHO, the most wonderful slice of irony of the entire year has to be that, of all the liberal talk show hosts, the one you would most expect to take a cue from the Truthers is the one who slammed them the hardest.

Good times, good times.  

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sun Oct 14, 12:09:00 PM:

The next article in the sequence (click on "Next Article in Opinion" link at the bottom of Maureen/Steven's opinion) by Thomas Friedman is hilarious as well....whoever criticized the Times for not having funny pages was WAY out of line!!

Hugh Donohue, Cary, NC  

By Blogger Mo MoDo, at Sun Oct 14, 06:39:00 PM:

I think it was really Maureen Dowd pretending to be Colbert. Which makes the frank Rich joke even funnier.  

By Blogger Georg Felis, at Sun Oct 14, 08:48:00 PM:

If indeed it was written by either Dowd or Colbert, it was the first truly funny thing I have heard from either of them. Are you sure Iowahawk didn't sneak it in to the Times? He could have forged the document with a crayon, the Times is notoriously bad at catching forgers.  

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Mon Oct 15, 03:43:00 PM:

I think articles by Rich, Krugman and Friedman are also quite funny (although un-intentionally).  

Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?