<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Mannah from Yale 


According to the Yale Daily News, Yale employees favor Democrats over Republicans in their political contributions at a ratio of 45 to 1. Judging from my careful examination of bumper sticker trends in Princeton, the proportions are not wildly different here, probably the most conservative of the Ivy League campuses.

Academia purports to uphold "diversity" as a value in and of itself, but if the political "monoculture" that prevails among the employees of universities is any indication, "diversity" is only skin deep. But then, who among us did not know the word is a euphamism?

Glenn Reynolds also notes that Hillary has received no contributions from Yale Law School employees, but that Barack Obama has raked in more than $100,000 from Harvard employees (it is not clear, by the way, whether this is comparing the Yale Law School donations to gifts from people who work at Harvard University, which is like comparing the juice from a grape and a watermelon). He asks, "Why don't the Yale Law faculty like Hillary?" My guess is that she is too hawkish for them. I certainly hope that's the reason.

Meanwhile, in other entirely unrelated Yale news that, frankly, debases this entire post, it seems that Yale has some extraordinarily talented undergraduates:

“They needed shots of me in a bikini,” she said in the video, rolling her big, heavily shadowed brown eyes. “Who brings a bikini with them when they’re traveling somewhere in the winter? I had to run around Harvard at two in the morning asking someone to take pictures of me in my underwear.”

I bet Jodi Foster never did that.

8 Comments:

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wed Sep 12, 08:34:00 AM:

This is in the "So what else is new?" category. When I was a faculty brat child, there was much more diversity of opinion among professors. Ban-the-bombers (as in nuclear, not as in suicide) had offices next to Republicans. Sometimes this diversity of opinion was found within the same person. My professor father voted for Norman Thomas in ‘48, Eisenhower both times, and McGovern in ’72.  

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wed Sep 12, 09:50:00 AM:

As an alum of Cornell, my guess is Cornell (and Ithaca at large) is completely free of Republicans. L. Pierce Williams was a GOP'er but, sad to say, he was probably unique among the faculty.

Good how you worked that bikini discussion into the post, under the general heading of "social commentary"...

Andrew  

By Blogger antithaca, at Wed Sep 12, 10:28:00 AM:

"As an alum of Cornell, my guess is Cornell (and Ithaca at large) is completely free of Republicans"

Waves hand...as an alum, staff, resident (of Ithaca), and a Republican...I think I'm the only one.

I attribute it to blowback.  

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wed Sep 12, 03:57:00 PM:

I remember when David Chan, Playboy Magazine photographer, came to Princeton in the Fall of 1979 to shoot "Women of the Ivy League." If I recall correctly, the photo shoot was done in the Nassau Inn at Palmer Square. The Princeton University Women's center was apoplectic.

Sadly, the magazine pictorial wasn't much.  

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thu Sep 13, 12:54:00 AM:

Not surprising since we all know how left-wing these idiots from YALE are and frankly i hope yale gets the crap kicked out of them in every game they play  

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thu Sep 13, 01:02:00 PM:

He took the Cornell shots for that very same issue in the apartment below mine in Ithaca (I was lucky in my choice of apartments!), which was a spectacular place built onto the side of a gorge just south of the College Ave. bridge on to campus. I remember it vividly.

Andrew  

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thu Sep 13, 01:04:00 PM:

PS: Mike, I hope you can keep it a secret, about being a Republican I mean; I can't imagine what your colleagues must think when they hear it!

Andrew  

By Blogger Philippe Duhart, at Sun Sep 16, 12:39:00 AM:

What if we disaggregated a bit and found that economics, international relations, and business faculties were overwhelming supporting Republicans? Would this be a problem in your eyes? A possible sign of bias?  

Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?