<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, June 26, 2006

Notes on the Great Firewall 


The BBC's World News home page is blocked from Xian. I hadn't checked it previously on this trip through China, so perhaps it is blocked everywhere.

Technorati is also blocked here, as it was in Shanghai. It was available in Guilin and Chengdu.

As it has been since I left Shanghai, I have not been able to see blogs hosted on Blogspot except on my Blackberry. I was able to see them in Shanghai, though, at least at the Ritz-Carlton.

The Blackberry service has been extremely patchy since I was in Guilin. The cell phone service is persistent, but the Blackberry data connection is extremely unreliable. Roughly half the "dads" on this family tour are carrying Blackberrys with Cingular service, and they have had the same experience.

I'm sure you find all of this detail fascinating. Hey, it's reporting on the ground.


2 Comments:

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tue Jun 27, 12:29:00 AM:

I was delighted to find that my Verizon phone, a Motorola V60C worked much better in both Beijing and Shanghai than at my home in Southwest Florida. My guess would be that CDMA is quite advanced in the metro areas.  

By Blogger Lanky_Bastard, at Tue Jun 27, 01:25:00 AM:

Why am I reminded of the guy in the commercial, "Can you hear me now?"  

Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?