<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Beware 19th century Nazis 


Reluctant as I am to mock an otherwise serious article about the renaissance of "The Protocols of the Elders of Zion," I wonder whether it behooves us to teach that any "Nazi propaganda" is "century old."



Apart from its rank stupidity, I have at least two objections to this headline. First, it implies that anti-Semitism of the poisonous, murderous, paranoid variety is a Nazi invention. False. The Nazis simply deployed German industrial efficiency to the slaughter of Jews, something that all sorts of people around the world wish that they had thought of, or were capable of bringing about. Second, people have a hard enough time remembering that the Nazis were the parents and grandparents of people living today. Time is eroding the memory of the Holocaust, as the revolting head of state of at least one troublesome nation reminds us at every opportunity. Let's not imagine that the Nazis were further in Europe's barbaric past than they in fact were.

Meanwhile, the article itself refers to an early believer in "fake, but accurate":

The exhibit cites a quote from Joseph Goebbels, a decade before he became Adolf Hitler's propaganda minister:

"I believe that `The Protocols of the Wise Men of Zion' are a forgery. (However) I believe in the intrinsic but not in the factual truth of the `Protocols.'"

5 Comments:

By Blogger Dawnfire82, at Sun Apr 23, 11:27:00 AM:

I was to the understanding that this little piece of work was Tzarist propaganda. I went to check Wikipedia but it seems that there isn't an entry on it yet...

Does make for a cool Illuminati card though.  

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sun Apr 23, 01:04:00 PM:

Trying to hide your true colors by making fun of the "Protocols", dawnfire?

Not working.  

By Blogger Dawnfire82, at Sun Apr 23, 04:36:00 PM:

You're still here?

You over-estimate how much value I give your opinion. To assert that I made a joke for your benefit, to somehow camouflage my 'true colors' rather to simply be funny, is a bit deluded.

The next time you post you might actually want to, you know, comment on the article in question rather than just take personal pot shots. They get old. And that's a nasty habit.

*snicker*  

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sun Apr 23, 07:12:00 PM:

An early "Fake but accurate" quote.  

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tue Apr 25, 02:37:00 AM:

I didn't think you gave my opinion any more value than I give yours, which is zero. As for "personal pot shots", you impugned the integrity and patriotism of myself, my father and my brother. I figured you for the type that likes to dish it out but can't take it.  

Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?